Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review - Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10) by Charlaine Harris

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)Title: Dead In The Family
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: 10 (1-8, Dead and Gone)
Pages: 311
Published: May 4th 2010 by Ace Books 
ISBN: 9780441018642
Source: Personal Copy







Description: Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being who arrives with Eric's 'brother' in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbour (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton.  In addition to the multitude of family issues complicating her life, the werewolf pack of Shreveport has asked Sookie for a special favour, and since Sookie is an obliging young woman, she agrees. But this favour for the wolves has dire results for Sookie, who is still recovering from the trauma of her abduction during the Fairy War. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket 

I decided to give this series a break for awhile.  I wasn't sure there was an end coming soon and after 9 books, I felt the subject might be a little bit tired.  But, with the final book in the series finally released, I decided it was time to pick up the series again.

To be honest, I had kind of forgot little details.  It's times like this that I'm grateful that most series authors do a little bit of a recap.  I get a refresher without feeling like I'm being beat over the head with it.    And it's not an information dump at the beginning of the book.  Despite that, I really felt like this book was really slow.  Not a lot happens.  It even seems like Sookie is waiting for something to happen.

Granted there are some interesting things going on.   Her fairy cousin moves in with her which causes some interesting complications.  But, he's not the only fairy around.  And who ever it is may or may not have it in for Sookie.  Her cousin is being oddly quiet and who it might be.   When the body of the 2nd in command of the wolves is found on Sookie's property, she's asked to come help root out the culprit.  Who knew Sookie had Shaman capabilities?

Honestly my favorite part was learning who Eric's "brother" really is.  Totally unexpected and I loved how it was woven into the story.   I wish I could reveal who it is because its such a pivotal character in history that I was amazed at how crazy this person is as a vampire.

The last 50 pages or so are what make this book.  Worth it in the end, but it took a long time to get there.   We still have open story lines, but only 3 more books in the series!  There's an end in sight!

1 comment:

  1. The last 50 pages are definitely what makes this book! I know a lot of people bashed books 9-13, but I liked them. Yes, I agree that the plots maybe weren't as good as the first 8 books, but they were still entertaining. Also, unlike a lot of the internet chatter out there, I quite liked the last book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails