Friday, September 20, 2013

Review - Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #2) by Bethany Griffin

Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)Title: Dance of The Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Pages: 327
Published: June 11th 2013 by Greenwillow Books 
ISBN: 9780062107824
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss 





Description: In Dance of the Red Death, Araby’s world is in shambles—betrayal, death, disease, and evil forces surround her. She has no one to trust. But she finds herself and discovers that she will fight for the people she loves, and for her city. Her revenge will take place at the menacing masked ball, though it could destroy her and everyone she loves…or it could turn her into a hero. With a nod to Edgar Allan Poe, Bethany Griffin concludes her tragic and mysterious Red Death series with a heroine that young adult readers will never forget.

I Give This ...
Photobucket

This one somehow slipped right by me and missed publication date.  So unfortunately, I had to work on remembering some of the details from the first book.  I think I manged it because I wasn't nearly as confused as I thought I would be.

Araby is determined to save her friend April (and possibly the city if she can) at all costs.  I think she's tired of those around her wavering in their decisions.  But, it's interesting to think that the story kind of sticks to the time period that a girl needs a boy to save her.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure Araby can count on Will or Elliott to serve her best interests.  They are both to wrapped up in their own ideals to take note.  And thankfully, she finally doesn't wait around for them.

Speaking of Elliott and Will, I had high hopes for them.  Sadly, the really disappointed me.  Will seems to wallow in his own betrayal.  Araby may be mad at him, and possibly want nothing to do with, but she also understands.  I think he just needed to buck up and show her the kind of man he could me.  As for Elliott, I really wanted to see the person that I thought he could be.  But, he really is just shallow.  Araby looks good on his arm only when it's convenient for him.     

I thought the chain of events was interesting.  It was slow moving to build up the ending that then h a happened at a break neck speed.  I found it extremely intriguing that Elliott thought he had the upper hand in planning this big revolution.  Sadly the Prince was way ahead of them.   He was the one that had it all planned out....I just don't think he fully counted on how Araby played into it all.

The ball at the end was absolutely fantastic.  I had such vivid imagery going that I didn't want the scene to end.  I would love to see it play out in a trailer.  I've read further reviews that its an awesome tribute to the Edgar Allen Poe short Masque of the Read Death.  I must seek this story out and read it!  If I was as fascinated with this version, I can only imagine Poe's!

A satisfying conclusion.  I'll have to keep an eye on this author!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails