Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review - The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations #4) by Michael J. Sullivan

The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)Title: The Emerald Storm
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Pages: 375
Published: April 2nd 2010 by Ridan Publishing
 ISBN: 9780982514535
Source: Publisher via Netgalley










Description: A MESSAGE IS INTERCEPTED. A SINISTER PLAN LAUNCHED. TWO THIEVES STAND IN THE WAY.  Ex-mercenary Hadrian Blackwater sets course on a high seas adventure to find the lost Heir of Novron. His only hope lies in confronting the ruthless and cunning Merrick Marius. Fearing his friend is not up to the challenge, Royce Melborn joins his old partner for one last mission. Their journey finds them adrift amid treachery and betrayals forcing Hadrian to face a past he hoped never to see again.


 I Give This ...

Photobucket

Despite a rocky third book in the series, I knew I would be continuing.  I genuinely like the characters and want to see how this entire series ends!

While Hadrian is not up to his perky old shelf, I enjoyed his character a lot more in this book than in the last.  He has a purpose, but he's not entirely sure what to do about it.  I think he really would like to retire but now realizes that it might not be in the cards.  He and Royce end up on a ship with no clear destination at first in hopes to recover a horn.  Arista leaves her perch as Mayor in hopes of finding Gaunt.  A tragic events leads to this decisions.  It's something that effects everyone, yet Arista is currently the only one who knows about.  I'm curious as to how this will effect the future story.

I felt the part of the story aboard the ship The Emerald Storm was a little dragged out.  But, I think the author fully intends on having you really think about the characters and their actions.  Everything is this is deliberate, with the full knowledge of how the ending is going to happen.  We might not see all the pieces right now, but I love how the author is slowly pulling them together.

I really loved the last 100 pages or so.  Arista hiding in plain sight and her interactions with Trace/Modina are especially interesting.  I keep thinking there's something that Modina isn't telling us.  I can't wait to figure out what that is.  I also enjoyed Royce and Hadrian's journey when the leave the ship.  It's non stop actions and so many different things are going on.  I'm hoping I didn't miss some key detail that makes everything make sense later.

I can see we are on the downward slide to the conclusion.  I'm happy I've decided to read these and can't wait to see how it ends!    



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails