Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike

Wings (Wings, #1)Title: Wings
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Series: 1st in series
Pages: 294
Published: May 2009 by Harper Teen
ISBN: 9780061668036
Source: Library







Description: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.aurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I feel bad because everyone seems to love this book.  I guess I just wasn't that into it.  And, while it's put into the young adult category, I think it felt more middle grade fiction.  I think had I known that to begin with, I might have liked it a little bit more.

I never really connected to Laurel.  She seems like a mixture of perfection and oddball, which was an odd combination.  I liked how she was a fairy and how that was different than I thought it was going to be.  The fact that she was born a fairy and lived her life as human with no recollection of her past was interesting.  I also enjoyed the deviation from traditional fairy folklore, yet included some of the myths.  The other characters were ok.  I really liked Tam, but would have liked for him to wait a bit before he confessed his feeling for Laurel.  It just felt a little off to me.  I also liked David, but wondered why he accepted the idea of fairies so easily.  I don't think I would have.

I also enjoyed the mystery involved.  Laurel not only finds out that she is a  fairy, but that there's a whole other world that exists.  She needs to keep the other races from her land and protect her mortal family.  But, at times, I felt this came to easily for her.  I would have liked to learn more about the fairy world as well. 

The story was very nicely put together.  I'm not sure exactly why I just wasn't into it.  I want to read this next one in the series and see were it take the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails