Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher


Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)


Title: Incarceron
Author: Catherine Fisher
Series: Incarceron #1
Published: January 2010
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 464
ISBN: 9780803733961
Source: Library




Description: Incarceron - a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery. It is a terrifying mix of high technology -- a living building which pervades the novel as an ever-watchful, ever-vengeful character, and a typical medieval torture chamber -- chains, great halls, dungeons. A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison -- a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists. But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, simultaneously find a device - a crystal key, through which they can talk to each other. And so the plan for Finn's escape is born...

I Give This Book 3 Stars!

I'm not quite sure what to make of this book.  It was creative in every sense.  A prison that is a self sustained world is a very interesting idea.  Especially when the outside world believes its suppose to be a "perfect" world.  Add in a futuristic society that functions more like the past, and you have the potential for a wonderful novel.  But, it lost me somewhere.  I wasn't bored so much as I just didn't really care.  I think Finn was the most interesting character, but I just didn't feel like I knew enough about him.  Which makes sense it what you learn later in the book, but it doesn't help you connect.  I was indifferent to Claudia.  She seemed like the spoiled rich girl who always gets what she wants.  I don't think she did anything for anything other than selfish reasons.  The whole book felt like it was loosely tied together.  I'll probably read the sequel, but it won't be a need to read it the moment it comes out sort of deal.

~If you are interested in reading some reviews of people who really liked the book, please check out...

http://www.readnowsleeplater.com/2010/02/incarceron-review.html
http://lushbudgetproduction.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-incarceron-by-catherine-fisher.html
http://lostininkreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/review-incarceron.html


1 comment:

  1. I've got this book on my shelf because I won it in a contest at some point, but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet. I've read a lot of good things about the book, and a few really bad things as well. It's nice to see someone take the middle road, lol. I'll be reading it eventually, because I own it, but I might hold off and read some other things first. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails