Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review - The Last Echo (The Body Finder #3) by Kimberly Derting

The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)Title: The Last Echo
Author: Kimberly Derting
Pages: 358
Published: April 17th 2012 by HarperCollins 
ISBN: 9780062082190
Source: Around The World Tours
 







Description:  Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye....

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I was really looking forward to this latest installment in this series.  It's filled a little void I've had since I've basically stopped reading adult mysteries/thrillers.  And while this book was a great read overall, there were some elements to the story that bothered me a little bit.

I enjoyed this new group that Violet is working with.  I think she needs to be around people that are like her.  It might help her to better accept her abilities and know how to use them to help those around her.  I was intrigued that we know as little about this group as Violet does.  Everyone of there abilities is different, and some are better at hiding their true capabilities.  I also thought the dynamics of the group was interesting.  Turns out there's some connections there that I did not see coming.

I didn't really enjoy how this new group gets in the way of Violet's relationships.  Her friends know nothing about her ability, so she's constantly lying to her friends.  Jay may know about her abilities, but she can't tell that about what the group does.  I didn't get enough of Jay in this book.  First, because Violet is off working all the time.  The story focuses on that and what it is doing for Violet.  Second, I was really disappointed that the dreaded love triangle was introduced.  Don't get me wrong, I like Rafe.  But, I like Jay and Violet MORE.   Thankfully, I think it was over before it could ever really get started.  It just was a blow to the story.   

While, I found the book was the most predictable of the three, there were enough surprises to keep me on my toes.  I enjoyed the storyline with gang leader (I found him creepier than the serial killer).  Plus, there are some twists at the end that I totally love.  I'm completely looking forward to the next book in the series.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails