Tuesday, January 11, 2011

India Black by Carol K. Carr

India BlackTitle: India Black
Author: Carol K. Carr
Series: Possible
Pages: 304
Published: Available now from Berkley
ISBN: 9780425238660
Source: sent for honest review
 






Description: In the winter of 1876, the beautiful young madam India Black is occupied with her usual tasks - keeping her tarts in line, avoiding the police, and tolerating the clergyman bent on converting her girls. But when Sir Archibald Latham of the War Office dies from a heart attack while visiting her brothel, India is unexpectedly thrust into a deadly game between Russian and British agents who are seeking the military secrets Latham carried. French, the handsome British spy, discovers India disposing of Latham's body, and blackmails her into recovering the missing documents. Their quest takes them from the Russian embassy to Claridge's Hotel, from London to the English coast, all the while chasing the Russian agents who are intent on spiriting the stolen documents out of England. But it is their own tempestuous relationship they will have to weather as India and French attempt to resist the mutual attraction between them - an attraction that can prove as deadly as the conspiracy entangling them.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

Everything about this book caught my eye.  The cover drew me in and the description made me add it to my to-read list.  I was more than happy to review it when I was contacted.  Needless to say, I really enjoyed this book.

I've become found of books set in Victorian England.  There's something about it that draws me in.  India Black fits right into that time period.  I loved that she's a Madame.  She's proud of it and makes no apologies for who she is.  She also tells it like it is.  I think it makes quite a few men turn there heads throughout the story.  I also enjoyed her relationship with French.  Their banter was amusing.  I was never quite sure if there was sexual tension there or not though. 

I thought it was amusing that the government turns to her for help.  I'm thinking they got more than the bargained for.  She's obviously not the most diplomatic of choices and her mannerisms and thought process make for some funny situations.  I like how the adventure takes them all the way to France.  Nothing seems to work in there favor even in the end really.

I think this could possibly turn into a series.  Things aren't answered completely.  I would love to see what India has in store for us next! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails