Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rhode from Infinite Days be Rebecca Maizel

For those of you who have read Infinite Days by Rebecaa Maizel, you know that we don't get to know Rhode very well.  I  thought he was a fascinating character.  So, I decided to ask Rebecca about Rhode so maybe we could learn a little bit more about him!



Can you remember much about your human life?  Such as when you were born, were did you live, etc?

I was born in England outside what is now contemporary London. The date of my birth is not something I share though I will tell you I was a knight under Edward the III when I was only a young man. The black death was ravaging England and Europe. I'd never seen such death, such unforgiving death. 


When were you made into a vampire and who created you?
I became a vampire in the early 1400s - this is a story I cannot tell.  Though I will tell you that I feared the Black Plague. I did not fear battle, I was an excellent swordsman. I feared death - and the Black Plague took many that were dear to me. 


What has been your favorite time period?
The early 1700s. When it was just Lenah and me. 

What has been the hardest thing for you as a vampire?
Leaving Lenah to find the ritual - watching her mind decay and knowing the only way to save her was to find the ritual. 

What attracted you to Lenah and made you decide to turn her?
Her essence. The way she looked at her world. I loved the way she touched things with her finger tips and admired the many objects in her life. I took touch away from her when I made her a vampire but I needed her with me. I wanted to show her just how much I loved her - I wanted her to appraise my world. 

What led you to sacrifice yourself for Lenah to become human again?
Love. Simple but true.

What did you do for the 100 years while Lenah slept?
I travelled and researched the nuances of the ritual. There were no texts I could access easily in England so I went to remote parts of the world to find the truth. And I hoped that we would succeed. 

Do you agree with Lenah’s choices in the end?
Her choice to be human? Absolutely. She would have become something else, something dark, she would have not been the Lenah I loved had she remained a vampire for much longer. There are darker, worse creatures than vampires and Lenah would have become one of those, I'm sure of it.


Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)Infinite Days - A Vampire Queen Novel

“Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you…no one.”
Those were some of Rhode’s last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face. It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste. Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust. I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn’t Rhode.  But Justin was…daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.




http://rebeccamaizel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_0014copy.jpgRebecca Maizel graduated from Boston University and the Rhode Island College master’s program. She teaches community college in Rhode Island and is studying to receive her MFA from Vermont College.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED Rhode. He was probably my favorite part in Infinite Days. The interview was great--it was nice getting to learn more about him!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails