Friday, August 20, 2010

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)Title: Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Series: 1st in planned series
Published: Available by St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 310
ISBN: 9780312649913
Source: ARC from Goodreads





Description: After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lenah Beaudonte, with the help of the handsome Rhode, has been able to realize the dream of all vampires - to be human again.  Now, as a raven-haired, sixteen-year-old, Lenah believes her greatest challenge is fitting in at her new school.  But the challenges have only begun.  The vicious coven Lenah once ruled is threatening the new found pleasures of her human life, including the one guy who makes her feel most alive, Justine.  Can this ex-vamp survive in an ancient time and place or will her past come back to haunt her ... forever? 

I Give This ...
Photobucket 

I was immediately drawn to this novel.  The idea of a vampire turned human again really had my interest.  I especially like the idea of a ruthless vampire that has lived for hundreds of years becoming a teenager in the 21st century.    Maizel managed to do this flawlessly.  I really liked this story.

Lenah is an interesting character.  I loved the flashbacks of her life as a vampire.  I think these just skim the surface of how terrifying she really was.  Her first few days as a human again were fascinating.  Maizel really draws you into how Lenah feels, thinks, and acts during this time.  I liked listening to her internal struggle.  Some of her vampire instincts are still intact for awhile and she knows how she would have reacted had she still been a vampire.  I also really loved how she struggles with the new things of the 21st century.  I can't imagine the shock of all the things that have occurred in the past 100 years.  I loved the part were she heard the opera on CD in the listening room of the library.  I thought it was very touching.

The other characters fill out the story nicely.  I really liked Tony and for awhile I wished Lenah would have chosen him.   But, Justin grew on me.  I thought it was interesting that Lenah felt she would have been drawn to him as a vampire as well.  I do wish we would have gotten more of Rhode.  He seems like a very deep and complex person.  The coven was an interesting group.  Aside from Vicken, they seemed like one entity.  But, I don't think we are suppose to see them as individuals.  I can't wait to get more of Vicken in future books.  

The story flows nicely as Lenah adapts to being a human and learning what typical teenagers do.  It's great getting the viewpoint of all the things we consider normal for the viewpoint of someone who has been around for over 500 years.   I wasn't prepared for what happened when the coven caught up with Lenah, but I thought the ending was appropriate.  I can't wait to see what happens in the next book of the series.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I have been dying to read this one. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails