Friday, October 18, 2013

Review - The Snatchabook by Helen Docherty, Thomas Docherty (Illustrations)


Photobucket

The SnatchabookTitle: The Snatchabook
Author: Helen Docherty
Illustrator: Thomas Docherty
Pages: 32
Series: Stand Alone
Published: October 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
ISBN: 9781402290824
Source: Ebook for honest review from Publisher





Description: Where have all the bedtime stories gone? One dark, dark night in Burrow Down, a rabbit named Eliza Brown found a book and settled down...when a Snatchabook flew into town. It's bedtime in the woods of Burrow Down, and all the animals are ready for their bedtime story. But books are mysteriously disappearing. Eliza Brown decides to stay awake and catch the book thief. It turns out to be a little creature called the Snatchabook who has no one to read him a bedtime story. All turns out well when the books are returned and the animals take turns reading bedtime stories to the Snatchabook.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

 Did you notice that rating?  If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you may have noticed that I rarely give that out.  A book has to be something special to earn it from me.  For a picture book to get it...well this one was just fantastic in my opinion.

First off, my younger daughter still loves a good picture book and loves to be read to.  So the idea that someone might come along and still all her books was not something she wanted.  But, the story caught her attention and she loved the little creature that was causing all the chaos.  I also think she loved how in the end, this little Snatchabook sat in on bedtime stories all over the little village.

From a mom (and teacher) perspective, I loved how the story rhymed.  Sometimes, the flow of the rhyme doesn't work with the story and sometimes the rhythm gets lost.  I didn't feel that once during this book.  Plus, I really enjoyed the message.  I liked how the rabbit helped the Snatchabook correct his mistake, but realized he just wanted to hear the stories.   I also liked how the book pointed out the importance of books and how you are never to old to be read too.

I really enjoyed this picture book.  I received an ebook, but will be on the lookout to purchase one for my class.  I think they would enjoy this story as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails