Thursday, August 29, 2013

Review - City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: 1st
Pages: 485
Published: March 27th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books 
ISBN: 9781416914280
Source: Library






Description: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

 I Give This ...
Photobucket

I'm late on the band wagon with this one.  I've always meant to read this series, but it just never was a priority.  With the movie (finally) coming out, I decided to hop to it.   Sometimes, late to that party is a good thing!

I wasn't sure what to think at first.  Clary doesn't seem like the type to go to a club like Pandemonium.  If I didn't know better, I would think there were other reasons that the club brought her in.  As fate would have it, things were about to unravel for her.  In the blink of an eye, Clary is thrust into a world that she doesn't understand.  She can see Demons, a rare gift given to the Shadowhunters.  The Shadowhunters are a group of warriors whose job it is to rid the world of said Demons.

How Clary fits into this world was extremely predictable.  Turns out Clary's mother has been hiding things for her (and hiding her) for a long time.  But the circumstances behind all of it was extremely interesting.  As I learned about the world of that Clary was blind to, I got sucked into the story.  I liked that Clary questioned everything.  She just didn't accept the information presented to her.  She wanted to know more and to understand it.  I loved learning about who her mother was and the lengths she had gone to keep Clary in the dark (mind blocks by vampires anyone?).   

I had heard in many circles about Jace.  I was unprepared for how much I loved his character.  He's not there to be all dreamy and attract all the attention.  Yes, he sometimes uses his charm and good looks to his advantage, but I never got the impression that he enjoyed doing it.  Plus, his witty and sarcastic remarks were just the right touch.  I could feel the draw between Clary and Jace.  And dammit, when the truth was learned I was not happy.  

I also enjoyed the supporting cast of characters.  Simon was just the right touch of boy next door/love stuck best friend.   I'm curious how that relationship will develop in future books.  I also liked Jace's fellow Shadowhunters, Alec and Izzy.  Alec especially being an interesting character.  He seems to hold an instant dislike to Clary, for reasons unknown to Jace.  I also liked how other paranormal races are included in the book, including vampires and werewolves.

I obviously will be continuing this series!  Now that I've started...how could I not finish!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails