Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review - The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: 2nd (The Selection)
Pages: 323
Published:  April 23rd 2013 by Harper Teen
ISBN: 9780062059963
Source: Exchanged ARC






Description: Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.  America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.  Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending. I Give This ...
Photobucket

I've never been a big fan of the reality shows The Bachelor or The Bachelorette.  But who doesn't love the idea of the chance to become a princess and find true love all in the same process.  I was captured by the idea in the first book and knew that I would be reading this one.  In many ways it did not disappoint.
I truly think the only fault I found with this book was with America herself.  I understand that she has feelings for both Maxon and Aspen, (although for me there is only one clear cut winner).  I also understand that she really needs to work out the possibility of being a princess and one day becoming the Queen.  But, what I disliked was how she didn't hold herself to the same standards that she seemed to hold to Maxon.  She really seemed to want him to be this perfect prince all wrapped up with no faults.  She would get insanely jealous when she learned about his time spent with the other girls, forgetting that she was going behind his back as well.  She never would let him explain his actions, preferring to jump to conclusions.  

Poor Maxon, he's basically given his heart to America and she's so hesitant to give hers in return.  I don't blame him for finding condolence in somebody else.  I'm glad he went to bat for America in the end, because I'm not sure I would have.  I think he sees in her the Queen he needs for the idea he has for when he takes the throne.  However, she needs to realize that change does not happen over night.

I think all these misgivings were sorted out in the end.  It seems America may have made a decision on where her heart lies.  Maxon may have as well, but there is major roadblock in the way...the King himself.   I'm curious how much say he will have in the selection in the end.  America may have made the most powerful enemy of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails