Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review - Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle #4) by Christopher Paolini

Inheritance (Inheritance, #4)Title: Inheritance
Author: Christopher Paolini
Series: 4th (Eragon, Eldest, Brisinger)
Pages: 860
Published:  November 8th 2011 by Alfred A. Knopf
ISBN: 9780375856112
Source: Purchased





Description: Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.  Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances. The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to AlagaĆ«sia? And if so, at what cost? 

I Give This ...
   Photobucket

I read the first three in this series so long ago that I've honestly been putting off reading this one.  But, my goal this year is to read more off my shelf and to finish a few series.  This fell into both categories, so down in came for the bookshelf.

First, I was extremely glad for the little refresher pages in the beginning of the book.  I remembered most of the previous novels, but some of the details escaped me.  It prepared me for the battle that was to come.

Eragon and Saphira have come a long way since we first met them.  They come to lead the people against Galbatorix.  I honestly felt the did the best for the people and not a single decision was for themselves.   The events the lead us to our final point are great.   We learn a lot of history that we haven't been given up to this point.  There were a lot of hidden secrets that I was not expecting.  The dragons may not have exactly anticipated Galbaorix's full powers and how long he would extend that control over the land.  But, I think they did know that one day there might be someone to have the power to overthrow him.

Its a long book, a Paolini likes to be over the top when it comes to details.  It truly shows were he gets his inspiration.   As does the ending.  I was a little disappointed in how it all played out.  It wasn't about strength of mind, or body, but more about the heart.   I felt like I was being slightly cheated of a glorious fight were someone truly comes out on top.  I also  dislike when I feel the book has reached its climax, but yet there are a 150 more pages to read.   This too reminded me were the influence comes from.

I might be a little generous in my 4 rating.  But, I most give Paolini credit for the outstanding world he has created.  I may be slightly disappointed in how the book finished, but the journey getting here has been wonderful.  If this is what he envisioned, then so be it.   It did leave the world he had created how I envisioned it in the end.  He just took a slightly different path to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails