Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review - Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1) by Jessica Shirvington

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Series: 1st
Pages: 369
Published: March 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire 
ISBN: 9781402268403
Source: Publisher for honest review








Description: On her 17th birthday, everything will change for Violet Eden. The boy she loves will betray her. Her enemy will save her. She will have to decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice.  Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, EMBRACE is a compelling novel of good and evil, seductive desires and impossible choices. A centuries old war between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity chooses a new fighter. It's a battle Violet doesn't want, but she lives her life by two rules: don't run and don't quit. If angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden.  LINCOLN: He's been Violet's one anchor, her running partner and kickboxing trainer. Only he never told her he's Grigori--part human, part angel--and that he was training her for an ancient battle between Angels and Exiles.   PHOENIX: No one knows where his loyalties lie, yet he's the only one there to pick up the pieces and protect her after Lincoln's lies. In a world of dark and light, he is all shades of gray.  Two sides: Angel or Exile.  Two guys: Lincoln or Phoenix. The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity...  

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

This caught my eye originally, but I never firmly decided to pick it up and read it.  When the opportunity came up to review the second, I decided to give the series a shot.  

Violet's background is interesting.  Her mother died in child birth and her father has been pretty much no existent for the last few years.  Cliche in many ways with today's teen novels, but sometimes you have to just go with it.  The only constant in her life is Lincoln, whom is completely head over heels for.  Yet, she does absolutely nothing about it.  When she learns that she part angel, she refuses to believe that any of it can possibly be true.  When faced with nothing but the facts, she tries to deny her own powers.  I'm not sure how she thinks she can live a normal life after what has happened to her.
I thought the idea behind this was actually interesting.  But, sometimes it didn't really make sense.  I kept getting the Grigori and the exiles confused, not in the sense in who they were but in how they were made.  I also found Violet to be incredibly irritating for most of the novel.  Sure Lincoln lied to her.  But, they way she treated him in return was harsh.  I thought it was a little extreme and it really bugged me.  Granted in the end, we learn there is perfectly valid explanation for that.  But for me, it was too little too late.   I also wasn't really thrilled with her interactions with Phoenix and the repercussions from that.  

I will read the second in the series, but if it weren't for the fact that I already have it, I might not have picked it up.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails