Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review - House on Plunkett Street by Lorena Bathey

House on Plunkett StreetTitle: House on Plunkett Street
Author: Lorena Bathey
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 207
Published: April 6th 2012 by Lorena B Books
ISBN: 9780615569840
Source: Author sent for honest review
 







Description: Phoebe Bertramis boring, bland, and unexciting. She works a job that is inadequate of her abilities. She has a boyfriend that is tolerable, but mostly a dud. She is on the treadmill of her life and doesn't know how to get off.  With changes in her job and her apartment going condo, she must find a new place to live. Her friend Meghan brings her to the perfect apartment and the moment Phoebe steps in the door, she knows there is something special and atypical about this perspective residence.  What she never expects are the three ghosts that arrive on her couch to teach her how life is really meant to be lived.

I Give This ...
Photobucket

The description for this intrigued me and it seemed to have a feel good message.  Plus, it has ghosts!  Win Win for me.    

Phoebe was a fascinating choice for our lead character.  In all honesty, there is nothing remarkable about her in the beginning.  She works at a job she doesn't love but because she has to do something.  Her boyfriend of 2 years is really nothing special.  I basically got the impression that she's doormat for those around her and she's happy to be that way (or doesn't care enough to change it).  And then she moves.  Who knew that the simple act of moving would have such a profound effect on her life.  

Shortly after moving in, she meets the three ghosts who were sent her to teach her how leave her life and not coast through it.  I appreciated the first ghost.  She taught Phoebe that she should really be working at a job that is not only good at, but enjoys as well.  And that it's ok to go out and get it.  I had a little bit of harder time with the second ghost.  I know that Phoebe lacked confidence in herself and it reflected in what she wore.  But, I also think you are more than what you wear.  The message seemed to be to get a man you have to wear the right clothes.  Wasn't sure on that one really.

I really liked the third ghost, but kind of wondered if her message wasn't a little old fashioned.  I'm sure we could all use a little relationship advice from time to time.  But to step back and let him come to you or risk losing him?  I just wasn't sure on that one.

I did like the overall story line and the general message, just not all the facts to get us there.  That's ok though, I think plenty of others will like this!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails