Thursday, November 17, 2011

Review - Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Little Women and MeTitle: Little Women and Me
Author: Laruen Baratz-Logsted
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 336
Published: November 8, 2011 by Bloomsbury
ISBN: 9781599905143
Source: Teen Book Scene Tour






Description: Emily is sick and tired of being a middle sister. So when she gets an assignment to describe what she'd change about a classic novel, Emily pounces on Little Women. After all, if she can't change things in her own family, maybe she can bring a little justice to the March sisters. (Kill off Beth? Have cute Laurie wind up with Amy instead of Jo? What was Louisa May Alcott thinking?!) But when Emily gets mysteriously transported into the world of the book, she discovers that righting fictional wrongs won't be easy. And after being immersed in a time and place so different from her own, it may be Emily-not the four March sisters-who undergoes the most surprising change of all.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I was really excited to start this book.  I liked the writing assignment.  It sounded like something that I would have liked to have done in junior/high school.  But, this story missed its overall mark with me for some reason.

I actually liked Emily in present time.  She really struggling with who she is.  I imagine it's hard to be the middle sister (I have no idea).  I also really enjoyed the comparisons she makes between her family and the sister in Little Women and also to the Bronte sisters.  But I struggled with her after she's transported into the novel.

Emily seems to adapt to world of Little Women a little to easily.  The only trouble she seems to have is with key plot points.  I think I would have more trouble with actually getting use to the differences.  I also have to be honest in saying while I enjoyed reading Little Women, I can't say that it would be a book that I would read over and over.  So, I was a little bored with basically reading the story again in this format.

 I did have fun with the very modern things that Emily did in the story.  The way her sisters reacted to her was just great.  I also like the twist with Amy and Father, it was unexpected.  I also like Emily's reasoning in the end on what she would change in the story.  It was a very sound judgement and I liked it.  It also left me wondering who really does end up with Lauri (I could not remember for some reason lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails