Friday, October 21, 2011

Review - Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1) by Elizabeth Miles

Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1)Title: The Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Series: 1st in Triology
Pages: 352
Published: August 30, 2011 by Simon Pulse
ISBN: 9781442422247
Source: Publisher via Netgalley










Description: Sometimes sorry isn't enough....It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.  Em and Chase have been chosen.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

It really was all about the cover for this one.  But, I'm fan of mythology and the description and the cover lead me to believe it might be about the Furies.  Thankfully I was right, but I wasn't overly into this story.  

I always have a hard time when the story starts out slow.  I kept waiting for the story to actually start.  It seems like we spend a lot of the story building the basis for the furies to come in, and I really just wasn't that interested.  While they really are a part of the story from the beginning, it felt like the didn't really try to manipulate people until about half way through.   While we had to wait for Emily's situation to fully play itself off, Chase's "crime" had already been done.  I expected them to be messing with him more.

 I also didn't really like either of the characters.  But, I think that's the point.  They both have to grow up and learn from their mistakes.  Chase was easier for me to read.  I don't think he meant to take his prank as far as he did.  And he was truly sorry for it before the Furies every came in to make him pay for it.  I was sorry he was the one who had to suffer the way he did.   Emily seems to be more the focus of the story.  I hated that she liked her best friend's boyfriend.  And she was so good at justifying it in her mind.  I really couldn't believe that she thought that her friends would forgive her.  I actually though that the boyfriend "Zack" was worse than these two.

I don't feel like we got a good glimpse of the Furies.  They seemed to be punishing trivial crimes when they are much worse things happening in the world.  It seemed almost petty.  But, then what did I expect from a teen novel.  I'm not really sure if I will read the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails