Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review - Eyes in the Mirror by Julia Mayer

Eyes in the MirrorTitle: Eyes in the Mirror
Author: Julia Mayer
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 214
Published: August 2, 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire
ISBN: 9781402240409
Source: Publisher sent in exchange for honest review







Description: Every teen girl fantasizes about having a double and best friend rolled into one-an alter ego with whom she can trade places, allowing her to disappear. Samara is a troubled and lonely adolescent, prone to cutting, who desperately craves both intimacy and escape from her unfulfilled life...until she meets her reflection, Dee, the seeming answer to all her problems.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book, but it was definitely not what I got.   It's an interesting book dealing with real world issues with a touch or paranormal.  While I did enjoy it overall, I felt it was really light-hearted for the subjects broached.  

I liked Dee but didn't really care for Samara.  For the longest time, I actually wondered if they were really the same person and that the other was created as a way to deal with their problems.  Dee seemed like a genuine person although I never really understood her obsession with the idea of another dimension.  Samara seemed entirely selfish.  It seemed like her problems stemmed from her own desire to be aloof and standoffish.  

As they mingle their lives across the two dimensions, the story takes an interesting turn.  And this is were the story lost me a little bit.  It just doesn't feel like it's as serious as it should be.  Especially considering the topics and what happens.  It also feels like the story just drops you a little.  So little time passes in the beginning.  And then large chunks of time pass with no idea what has happened in the lapsed time.  It felt disconnected.

Overall, the book was ok for me.  It didn't really leave a lasting impression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails