Friday, August 12, 2011

Review - Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1)Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Series: 1st
Pages: 336
Published: November 29, 2011 by Putman
ISBN:  9780399256752
Source: Around The World Tours 






Description: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I feel almost guilty giving this a three.  It seems like everyone who has read it so far has really liked it.  But I found it really predictable and slow at times.  I do have to admit that what this story has going for it is the characters.  Day and June are what kept me reading.  

Day is really the key to this story.  I was instantly intrigued by the fact that Day disappeared on the day of his test and then went on to become the most wanted criminal in the Republic.  I loved the fact that nobody knew who he really was or even what he looked like.  His criminal activities reminded me of a futuristic Robin Hood.  And as we get to know him better, I realized how smart this guy is.  And not just book smart, but all around mentally equipped to deal with anything.  I really began to wonder how he failed his test.

I wasn't sure what to think of June at first.  I disliked that she blindly followed the Republic.  But then she's been raised to believe in it.  I was really impressed with her tracking skills and her ability to access any situationI was a little surprised at how long it took her to realize that the boy who saved her from the fight was really Day.  And then I was even more shocked that she turned him at the drop of a hat.  But even she wasn't expecting the events that unfolded that made her question all that she had been taught.

It was the storyline that really got to me.  While the truth behind everything wasn't known to me until June uncovers it, I had basic ideas behind everything that was going.  Nothing surprised me.  Since the story seemed to follow a formula, I sometimes didn't feel a need to turn the page as quickly as some other stories.  I still think I will read the next one though.  I wonder how deep the viciousness of this government goes.  Plus, I really did like Day and June.

 

1 comment:

  1. Haven't really heard to much about this one, other than it's dystopian, but bummed to hear you didn't love it. I have a friend who is really excited for this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails