Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner

The Red Necklace

Title: The Red Necklace
Author: Sally Gardner
Published: October 2007
Pages: 416
ISBN: 9780142414880
Source: Personal Copy

Description: Clever and head-turningly attractive, fourteen-yearold Yann is an orphan who has been raised in Paris by Tatu, a dwarf with secrets he has yet to reveal to the gypsy boy. It's the winter of 1789, and the duo have been working for a vain magician named Topolain. On the night when Topolain's vanity brings his own death, Yann's life truly begins. That's the night he meets shy Sido, an heiress with an ice-cold father, a young girl who has only known loneliness until now. Though they have the shortest of conversations, an attachment is born that will influence both their paths.  And what paths those will be! Revolution is afoot in France, and Sido is being used as a pawn. Only Yann will dare to rescue her, and he'll be up against a fearful villain who goes by the name Count Kalliovski, but who has often been called the devil. It'll take all of Yann's newly discovered talent to unravel the mysteries of his past and Sido's and to fight the devilish count.

I Give This Book 4 Stars!

I was pleasantly surprised by the book.  I had a hard time connecting with the last book I read concerning the French revolution.  that was not this case with this one.  This book made the revolution feel very real and frightening.  Especially for those of the upper class, which is what Sido is.  She's a shy and quiet female character.  Very different from the strong vocal females in some young adult books.  Not that either are bad, and Sido is strong in her own rights.   I felt very sorry for her because I could see that she truly felt unloved.  Yann was an interesting character.  I was surprised when the book took most of the focus to him.  His life was interesting.  He comes from gypsy background but taken in by English aristocrats as a teen.  Seems conflicting, but it brings out the best in him I think.  The book as a whole was a fast and easy read.  But, the last 100 (maybe it was 150) pages are riveting.  And just when you think they've made it, your left holding your breath again.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book and will be reading the sequel.  And just for further information, the end ties up nicely.  It just leaves you wanting the next chapter.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book and it is one of my favorites that I read last year. Count Kalliovski is so creepy and I enjoyed reading about Yann and Tetu. I liked the sequel too but I thought the Red Necklace was the best. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked this one you might also enjoy The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap. Not set during the French Revolution but a good historical mystery all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christina! I have Anastasia Secret by Susanne Dunlap. If I like her writing, I'll have to give The Musician's Daughter a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked this one. I picked up The Silver Blade and realized it was a sequel to this book.

    Stopping by from The Hop.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails