Friday, March 19, 2010

Numbers by Rachel Ward

Numbers


Title: Numbers
Author: Rachel Ward
Published: Feb 2010
Pages: 325
ISBN: 9780545142991
Source: Won from Goodreads First Look


Description: Whenever Jem meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die.
Burdened with such an awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. But while they’re waiting to ride the Eye Ferris wheel, Jem notices that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today’s number. Today’s date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem’s world is about to explode!


I Give This Book 3.5 Stars!


The description above is the most common one found for this book.  And, I have to point out that it's extremely misleading.  I  prefer the description that are usually included with this on sites such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.   The fact that Jem sees the date of when someone will die is more like a side story in this book.  It leads to the events that actually take place.  I'm hoping that not to many people are disappointed when the story isn't what they expect.  Because the actual story is really pretty good.  Jem is a complete fireball of a lead character.   She's sarcastic, witty, and fun.   I completely understand why she shies away from relationships.  I wasn't sure what I thought of Spider at first.  But, he grew on me by the end of the book.  I could see why Jem found the connection she did with him.  The events that occur after the incident at the ferris wheel are intense and they leave you in a whirlwind of emotions.   I was completely shocked by the ending.  The only thing that really bothered me was the constant talk of the characters being victims of their circumstances.  The story made it seem that because they came from poor backgrounds, they wouldn't amount to anything more.    

1 comment:

  1. Hi-I found your blog via the book blog hop-I like the design of your blog a lot and look forward to reading future articles-I follow your blog in Google Reader now

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails