Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan


I give this book 4 out of 5 Stars!

Description: Meridia is a lonely child; a mysterious incident when she was an infant has torn apart her parents, leaving them sharing nothing but a cold, mist-filled home. Not until Meridia meets the charmer Daniel, at age 16, does she finally feel loved. They marry and move in with his family and at first Meridia loves her life in Daniel's home. But she quickly learns of matriarch Eva's deceitful, manipulative ways and her power, both natural and supernatural, which she uses to control her family. When Meridia rebels against Eva, finding unexpected support from her parents, the rivalry solidifies and a lifelong battle begins. As time passes, Meridia faces heartbreak and betrayal, becoming a strong, fiercely independent woman. While filled with fortune-tellers, ghosts and unexplained phenomena, the relationships between the various characters are true to life so that fans of fantasy and fiction lovers alike are sure to enjoy this magical tale.

This was my first ARC (advanced reader's copy) and I was excited to receive it.  I signed up for the Barnes and Noble First Look Club.   Although completely outside the realm of what I normally read, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I was a little confused at first, and wasn't sure I would like this book.  But, I gave it a chance.   The characters were rich, although not everyone of them was pleasant.  The story was easy to keep wrapped up into.  I enjoyed the magic elements, which felt to me like the could be part of everyday life.  I felt like the characters were easy to identify with even with the magic.  I liked that the story could have taken place anywhere and anytime.  Overall 2 thumbs up for a great debut book from a new author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails