Thursday, October 23, 2014

Review - The Queen's Exiles (Thornleigh #6) by Barbara Kyle

The Queen's Exiles (Thornleigh, #6)Title: The Queen's Exiles
Author: Barbara Kyle
Series: 6th (1-4, Blood Between Queens)
Pages: 352
Published: May 27th 2014 by Kensington
ISBN: 9780758273246
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






Description: 1572. Europe is in turmoil. In the Netherlands the streets are red with the blood of those who dare to oppose the brutal Spanish occupation. A vengeful faction of exiled English Catholics is plotting to overthrow Queen Elizabeth and install her cousin Mary, Queen of Scots on the throne. But amid the unrest, one resourceful young woman has made a lucrative enterprise ... Scottish-born Fenella Doorn rules like a queen over a privateer's haven on the Isle of Sark. Her success at salvaging crippled vessels affords her gold and security, and it is on one of these ships that she meets wealthy Baron—and privateer—Adam Thornleigh. Secretly drawn to him, Fenella can’t refuse when Adam enlists her to join him in war-torn Brussels to help find his traitorous wife, Frances—and the children she’s taken from him.  But Fenella’s own bold actions have put a price on her head. Now Adam and Fenella’s lives are in peril as they race across Europe in an attempt to rescue his young ones, defend the crown, and restore the peace that few can remember. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I decided to continue this series after reading the 5th book.  I was hoping that the fact that I haven't read the previous 4 books wouldn't hinder my enjoymentThere was a couple small instances that I felt I might have better understood certain connections, but overall I like the events and character.

One thing I've noticed through out literature is the complete devotion that people showed to Queen Elizabeth.  Those who were on her side, were willing to do anything for her.  They risked it all, even their own lives to make sure her place on the throne was secure.  Such is the case with Adam Thornleigh.  He's willing to lose his family and spend his life pirating on the seas for the Queen.  Granted his wife made her choice as well.  I sometimes wonder if these people truly believed in the cause, or if it was all political (or how often it was both).  

I enjoyed Fenella.  It's always refreshing to have a female character who is holding her own without a man in her life.  Especially when inhabiting a world dominated by men.  Fenella is doing just that.  But, the minute Adam lands on her doorstep she wrapped in a world she should have stayed far away from.  But, Adam has that kind of draw for.  I loved her wits and how she handled all the situations thrown at her.  

I liked how the story was still based in Tudor history, but had more to do with what was going on in world beyond England.  I confess to not knowing much about that.  It was intriguing to learn about how dangerous of a game Elizabeth was playing when it came to pacifying her constant stream of suitors.  And how hard it must have been to have the rest of the world take her seriously when there were always those trying to bring her down.

I'm sure I will continue this series and eventually plan on going back and reading the first books in the series. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails