Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Review - Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders #3) by Brandon Mull

Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)Title: Chasing the Prophecy
Author: Brandon Mull
Pages: 512
Published: March 12th 2013 by Aladdin
ISBN: 9781416997962
Source: Library
 




Description: Jason and Rachel were not born in Lyrian. They did not grow up in Lyrian. But after all of the battles and losses, the triumphs and adventures, and most of all, the friendships forged in this fantastical world, Lyrian has become home to them in a way they never could have imagined. And so, armed now with the prophecy of a dying oracle, they have gone on their separate quests—each surrounded by brave and powerful allies—knowing that the chance for success is slim. But Jason and Rachel are ready at last to become the heroes Lyrian needs, no matter the cost.

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I'm a huge Brandon Mull fan.  I've loved this series so far. I kind of put off reading this final book because I wasn't ready for the series to end.  And it's always hard to pick up the final book for various reasons.  Will I like it?  Will it end the way I thin it should?  Can all the characters have the ending they deserve?

I was only slightly disappointed in the fact that at over 500 pages, this book can be a little slow in places.  There are instances were I felt the story lagged and something had to happen in order for the story to go anywhere.  It's was like a slow march to certain death and destruction.  However, the story was saved by the actions of the characters.
 
I'm always short of words when it comes to the characters in this series.  Mull ranks right up there with Rowling when it comes to defining characteristics that make for literary characters one can admire and look up to.   Jason may not always have the brains, but he makes up for it in shear determination and bravery. Yet, I never felt he acted rashly.  He make sound decisions about his actions and showed unwavering trust in his companions.  While Jason may be the backbone, Rachel is the brains.  She was chosen for her mission for a reason.  She has the ability to see the whole picture when she only has a piece.  And her knowledge and mastery of the magic of Lyrian is impressive.

I think my favorite character has ended up being Ferrin.  Who knew a displacer that could always be counted on to put their needs above anyone else would be the one to save the day.  I was never sure how he would influence the story (good or bad) and I'm sure he knew either.  I was pleased to see that he was able to rise above his own doubts and be the hero of the story.

I will be no doubt closely watching what Brandon Mull produces next.  And hoping that one day he gets the recognition I think he deserves. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails