Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review - Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts

Tumble & FallTitle: Tumble & Fall
Author: Alexandra Coutss
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 384
Published: September 17th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
ISBN: 9780374378615
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






Description: A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings.   The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand.  

 I Give This ...
Photobucket 

 Oh how I wanted to like this book.  With such an interesting title and description that reels you in, it had me really wanting to read it.  However, it was not meant to be.

First off, it's told in multiple points of view.  I occasionally don't mind dual points, especially when the characters are connected giving different points to the same story.  This is not the case here.  We get 3 different view points with the only connections being the end up at the same place at the end of the book.  The story is jarring and not very fluid.  I felt I never got to know these characters because the story was always changing points of view.  

The one story I did like was Zan's point of view.  She's still mourning the death of her boyfriend from the year before.  A death she never understood because he wasn't were he should have been.  As the end of days draws near, Zan feel she must flesh out the truth of his final days.  And what she discovers set her through a roller coaster of emotions.  I actually wanted to read this part of the story.  The rest I could take it or leave it.

I seriously thought about putting it down.  But honestly, I wanted to see through to the end when the damn asteroid hit.   Of course I was disappointed in that as well.  In my opinion, no one acted the way I thought they should when faced with the knowledge that the world likely will end as we know it.  

A frustrating first book that I was excited about initially.  I"m not sure if I will seek out the next one the author writes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails