Thursday, September 12, 2013

Review - Public School Princess by Augusta Blythe

Public School PrincessTitle: Public School Princess
Author: Augusta Blythe
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 198
Published: July 23rd 2013 
ISBN: B00E4PL2KO
Source: Sent by author for honest review







Description: In the world of Hollister Bucksey-Breiten fame, money and power are as prevalent as plastic surgery. Sixteen-year-old Hollister is heiress to the Bucksey real estate empire on her mother's side, as well as a bonafide princess thanks to her deceased royal father. After her troubled mother heads yet again to rehab, the celebutante suddenly finds herself shipped from the privileged halls of Shotley Academy in Los Angeles to a backwoods New Jersey high school. Life at Franklin High isn't what Hollister expects. Instead of being worshiped by her lesser-blessed peers for the usual superficial reasons, Hollister feels ostracized because of them. With the help of her estranged brother and a few new friends, she discovers what's really important not only to her but about her, and that a good heart is her most valuable asset.

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I was a little worried that this one might be a little to teeny bopper for me.    But, I really enjoyed the author's previous works, so I was willing to give it a shot.  I was pleasantly surprised when I liked it!

I was surprised at how much I disliked Hollister at first.   She's rich, spoiled, and has all sorts of characteristics that just make her unlikeable.  Yes, part of it is all on her.  She thinks the world should revolve around her because of who she is and who her mother is.  She's use to being in the spotlight.  But, the interesting part for me was that she hates the way the media portrays her at time.  She's more than what the picture shows.  What she never stops to consider is that she can change that.

But then her mother ends up in hot water and a stint in rehab is the only way to circumvent jail time.  Hollister is shipped off to New Jersey were people barely know her name.  There's no paparazzi and nobody cares what she does, wears, etc.   Hollister has no idea how to be this other person.  At first, I thought this wasn't going to effect her at all.  She had herself convinced that it was just a short time away and that she could deal.  But, kids can be cruel and she learned the hard way the she really did need friends.

Through all of this, I loved the fact that she learned what true friendship meant.  She maybe grew up with the girls back home, but they had no idea what it meant to stand by someone through thick and thin.  Sometimes its the little gestures that mean the most.  She also discovers what she can do with all that money and power that she has.  It doesn't need to be wasted on parties and clothes.  It can be put to causes that matter.

The only part of the story that bugged me a little was when Hollister took one of her new friends for a makeover.  I know she was just trying to be nice because her friend had way less money to spend on herself.  But, it's the idea that she wasn't good enough the way she way.  She had this potential to be "pretty" but not the means to get there.  However, what Hollister did for her gave her a significant boost of confidence.  So, I had a hard time deciding how I really felt about it.

Augusta Blythe has a talent that is flying under the radar!  I hope I have the opportunity to read and review whatever she writes next.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails