Saturday, July 6, 2013

Review - Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2) by Jessica Spotswood

Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #2)Title: Star Cursed
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Series: 2nd (Born Wicked)
Pages: 384
Published: June 18th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
ISBN: 9780399257469
Source: Publisher via Netgalley








Description: With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.  Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I absolutely loved the first book in this series, so there was never a doubt that I would get my hands on the second.   I think this might have been better than the first!

I really had my doubt about the sisterhood after reading the first book.  I felt like the threatened Cate into making the choice that she did.  I often wondered if they were any better than the Brotherhood.  But, this installment really showed a new side to the sisterhood.  Granted part of what they do is to keep up appearances.  They help those in need and also visit the prison.  They quietly use their magic to help.  At the same time, I think they were testing out temperaments.  I knew it wouldn't be long before people would begin to resent the Brotherhood and their strict rules.

Speaking of the Brotherhood...wow.   This group of men is horrible.   They will stop at no lengths to weed out anybody that might be remotely connected with magic.  Plus, the are willing to suppress the people to the extreme.  Women can't be taught to read or write, they aren't allowed to work, the list goes on and on.   I know they are afraid of loosing the power they have, but they have to know they are dangerously close to loosing it.   

I really liked Cate throughout the story.  She doesn't want to be the one to save them all and she definitely doesn't want to be the one to lead.  But she also sees a divide in the sisterhood.  There are those who want to play the card carefully, but there are those who want to lay it all on the table.  They feel the sisterhood can't lose and the time is now.   The rift that grow between the sisters is one that likely won't ever be bridged.   In the end, I decided Maura was beyond reason.  She wanted to the power most of all, and she would stop at nothing to be one the oracle spoke of.

It was extremely tense read in the end.  Prison breaks, traitors, and a little bit of love.  I can't wait for the next one!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails