Friday, July 13, 2012

Review - Never Enough by Denise Jaden

Never EnoughTitle: Never Enough
Author: Denise Jaden
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 400
Published: July 10th 2012 by Simon Pulse 
ISBN:   9781442429079
Source: Publisher Galley Grab (last one :(








Description: From the author of Losing Faith, a novel about two sisters and the eating disorder that threatens to destroy their family.  Loann’s always wanted to be popular and pretty like her sister, Claire. So when Claire’s ex-boyfriend starts flirting with her, Loann is willing to do whatever it takes to feel special… even if that means betraying her sister.  But as Loann slips inside Claire’s world, she discovers that everything is not as it seems. Claire’s quest for perfection is all-consuming, and comes at a dangerous price. As Claire increasingly withdraws from friends and family, Loann struggles to understand her and make amends. Can she heal their relationship —and her sister—before it’s too late?


I Give This ..
Photobucket

I find it hard to pick contemporary young adult fiction.  I don't want it to feel to overly made for teenagers if that makes sense (then why am I reading it you may be asking).  I like it when it makes me feel something, either by identifying with the characters or making me think.  This really fell somewhere in between for me.

I liked Loann from the start of the book.  The teenage years are really such a hard time and Loann just feels awkward in her own skin.  She feels like she's always in her sister's shadow.  That fact makes me think she attached herself to the first "friends" she could find.  Those so called friends I think just wanted to in to the popular older sister.  I was happy to see Loann branch out and discover who she really is and make friends who truly understand her.   

I would have liked to have understood Claire more.  Such a sad story that we don't really get to see.  By the time Loann figures out what is going on, Claire is beyond real help I think.  I was amazed that no one managed to notice what was going on for YEARS.   She managed to hide it very well.  It was interesting to see how Claire felt that Loann had it all, when Loann felt the complete opposite.  It just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  Sad how so much might have been avoided if more communication had been happening in this family.

For such a gritty subject, I never really felt like this book was about Claire's eating disorder.  For something that so traumatically effects the family, it more like the background story.  I think that was were my disappointment in this book lied.  I think the story could have brought that to the front of the storyline and let the rest be filler.  

I'll keep an eye out for this author, because I would be willing to give her work another shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails