Friday, June 1, 2012

Review - The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)Title: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
Author: Kady Cross
Pages:  416
Published: May 22nd 2012 by Harlequin 
ISBN: 9780373210534
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






Description: In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens. 


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I wasn't sure if I was going to read this.  I had a hard time with the first in the series but not for reasons most people would think.  I strictly had an issue with the steam punk aspect of the story.  I was beginning to think that the genre wasn't for me.   But, I decided to give it one more shot.

Maybe it's because there's a little less steam punk elements in this book, or maybe it's something else.  Either way, I liked this book way more than the first.  I liked that Jasper gets a lot of mention in this book.  He's got a really interesting past and we really get to see that.  The people he used to associate with in the US compared to the people he came to associate with in England show the difference in his values and what was important to him.  I like to see that kind of change in a character.  His devotion to Mei is also sweet and the fact that he is willing to go to such lows to keep her safe shows how much she meant to him.

I  love the development of the relationships of the other characters.  I sometimes wanted to bop Griffin and Finley on the head.  They are both too stubborn and refuse to recognize how they feel about each other.  But, it also makes for excellent tension in the book.  Sam and Emily are also very sweet.  The gang as a whole is becoming more comfortable together.  I love that.

The action of the story is really interesting.  Dalton is a great villain.  I love how he pushes the others because it makes for some great scenes.  I love the part in 5 points were Jasper has to take on a gang and then the leader (who is a scorned ex).  It's just exciting.

After this installment, I will be reading the next.  I'm so glad I decided to give this series another try!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails