Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1) by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)Title: The Girl in the Steel Corset
Author: Kady Cross
Series: 1st in series
Pages: 336
Published: Available now from Harper Teen
ISBN: 9780373210336
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
 







Description: In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her. When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch…. Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret. Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in. But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on—even if it seems no one believes her. 

I Give This ... 
Photobucket 

I have to be honest, I'm not sure that Steampunk is for me.  I'm just not really in the scifi/fantasy world that it entails.  Which is a little disappointing because I love the time frame.

I actually really liked all the characters.  Finley was just the right female lead for this story.  She's fiery and doesn't take crap for anybody, even when it jeopardizes her position.  I love her darker side.  It almost reminded me of multiple personalities.  I enjoyed the story behind who she is and how her father was a part of it.  Which brings us to Griffin, the dark knight.  He's got some powers as well.  But, his social status open doors that no one else could possible imagine.  Add in Sam (the incredible hulk), Emily (the brain), and Jasper (because what group isn't complete without a cowboy), and it's an interesting group.  I loved the interactions, their powers, and how the stick together no matter what.

I even liked the plot.  Unraveling the mystery behind "The Machinist" and what he really wanted was engaging.  I liked how it seemed like the attacks were random but were really an intricate design involving Queen Victoria, her diamond jubilee, and personal revenge.  I liked the romance.  It was there but not an really important part of the story.

It was really just the steampunk aspect of the story.  I'm not sure what it is that throws me off.  This is the second book I've read that I would categorize like this and I didn't really like the other one either.  I'll continue to give it a try and hope that I find something that I wows me!

1 comment:

  1. I understand thinking Steam-punk is not for you. Sometimes it seems like the Goth thing and sometimes I think "Physics! Ever heard of Thermodynamics?!" It's another layer of fantasy on the fantasy and, I think, dependent on science having gone in a completely different direction. I like some where it is well done, like Carriger's Parasol Protectorate and where the tech is so funny that it lends comedy rather than mystery and darkness.
    <a href="http://fangswandsandfairydust.com”)> Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust</a>
    @fangswandsfairy
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails