Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review - Frost (Frost, #1) by Kate Avery Ellison

Frost (Frost, #1)Title: Frost
Author: Kate Avery Ellison
Series: 1st
Pages: 194
Published: Published April 18, 2012 by CreateSpace
ISBN: 9781475005875
Source: Author sent for honest review 








Description: In the icy, monster-plagued world of the Frost, one wrong move and a person might end up dead—and Lia Weaver knows this better than anyone. After monsters kill her parents, she must keep the family farm running despite the freezing weather and threat of monster attacks, or risk losing her siblings to reassignment by the village Elders. With dangers on all sides and treachery just one wrong step away, she can’t afford to let her emotions lead her astray. So when her sister finds a fugitive bleeding to death in the forest, a young man from beyond the Frost named Gabe, Lia surprises herself and does the unthinkable.  She saves his life.  Giving shelter to the fugitive could get her in serious trouble. The Elders have always described the advanced society of people beyond the Frost, the “Farthers,” as ruthless and cruel, and her village has nothing to do with them. But Lia is startled to find that Gabe is empathetic and intelligent…and handsome. She might even be falling in love with him.  But time is running out. The monsters from the forest circle her farm at night. The village leader is starting to ask questions. Farther soldiers are searching for Gabe. Lia must locate a secret organization called the Thorns to help Gabe escape to safety, but each move she makes puts her in greater danger. Is compassion—and love—worth the risk?


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I've been having good luck with self-published lately!  I'm extremely glad I gave this one a chance.

First off, this book reminded me greatly of The Village by M. Night Shyamalan.  Since I enjoyed that movie, this was a not a deterrent for me.  I liked that our main character is a head strong female who is doing her best to keep her family together.  She's trying to keep the every watchful eyes of the village leaders off of her family.  It's not an easy task when there are things like the weekly quota to meet.  Not to mention the monsters that leave tracks around her farm.  I was most curious about the way this secluded society was set up.  

When Gabe shows up, I'm glad the Lia follows her instincts.  He's not what Lia expects from a "Farther"  His story of the world he lives in mimic some of what she's been told.  But, there are secrets woven in there too.  Stories of people from the Frost helping "Farthers" escape.  Gabe is looking for those people and a mysterious gate.  Lia discovers she may be holding the key to it all.  But how far is she willing to go to protect a boy she barely knows?   

At first, I was hoping that the monsters in the forest might be entirely mythical.  I would have even settled for the same sort of idea they used in The Village.  I tend to have a hard time when mythical creatures that are usually never seen become a reality in the story.  But, this time around it surprised me.  I liked who and what these creatures actually were. 

The only disappointing part of this story....it's more of a novella.  I was so into the story only discover it was over.  Really looking forward to the next one!


1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this one at all until your review and it sounds good!

    The cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails