Friday, August 5, 2011

Review - Always a Witch (Witch, #2) by Carolyn MacCullough

Always a Witch (Witch, #2)Title: Always a Witch
Author: Carolyn MacCullough
Series: 2nd; Once A Witch
Pages: 288
Published: August 1, 2011 by Houghton
ISBN: 9780547224855
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






Description: The adventures of Tam and Gabriel continue with more time travel, Talents, spy work, and of course, the evil Knights. Since the gripping conclusion of Once A Witch, Tamsin Greene has been haunted by her grandmother's prophecy that she will soon be forced to make a crucial decision—one so terrible that it could harm her family forever. When she discovers that her enemy, Alistair Knight, went back in time to Victorian-era New York in order to destroy her family, Tamsin is forced to follow him into the past. Stranded all alone in the nineteenth century, Tamsin soon finds herself disguised as a lady's maid in the terrifying mansion of the evil Knight family, avoiding the watchful eye of the vicious matron, La Spider, and fending off the advances of Liam Knight. As time runs out, both families square off in a thrilling display of magic. And to her horror, Tamsin finally understands the nature of her fateful choice .

I Give This ...
   Photobucket

I think books involving magic might be one of my favorite types in the paranormal genre.  This series is no exception.  I really think the magic involved is subtle, which makes the storyline that much more intriguing.

I think Tamsin is one of my favorite female witches.  She's really had the best of both worlds (although I'm sure she would disagree).  She grow up surrounded by people who can do extraordinary things, while she can't.  She's tried to live a normal life in NYC, far enough away from her family.  And even after she learns that she really does have magic that has been kept hidden from her, she still tries to appear normal.  Much to the dismay of her family.  When she goes home for her sister's wedding, she discovers that Alistair aims to bring down her family in the past.  And she also knows that she's probably the only one who can save them.
 
Tamsin chooses to time travel alone.  But, she has no idea how to find her family or how to warn them about the dangers to come when she does.  How do you go about telling something that a spell they have no idea they are going to cast needs to be stronger?  Instead, she ends up an employee of the very family set to destroy her own.  I found it interesting that they were much more diabolical than the stories told made them seem.  They will stop at nothing to make sure their magic is as powerful as it can be.

When Tamsin realizes what the Knight family intends to do, she realizes that only she has the power to fully stop them in the tracks.  Blood magic is extremely powerful and will take something equally strong to bind it.  Tamsin makes the ultimate sacrifice, which I greatly admired her for.  I wondered if it was part of the reason her magic was kept hidden for so long.

The story has a great pace, with a dramatic ending.  I was really afraid something was going to happen to someone I really cared about in the story.  Which I hope doesn't make it sound like the life that was lost was unimportant.  But, I think he knew the sacrifice he was making at the time.  I enjoyed how the characters interacted.  I especially enjoyed how Tamsin has developed from a girl who that she had no powers, to someone is in fully control of what she can do.  I don't know if there will be another one or not.  But, if there is, I will read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails