Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Firelight (Draki, #1) by Sophie Jordan

Firelight (Draki, #1)Title: Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Series: 1st in planned series
Published: September 7 2010 by Harper Teen
Pages: 336
ISBN: 9780061935084
Source: ARC from Around The World Tours





Description: With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.  

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I'm having a hard time pinpointing what it is that I liked about this story and struggle with giving it 3 or 4 butterflies.  There are some moments that I loved and some others that I definitely didn't.  Oddly enough, I think some of things I dislike just contribute to the overall liking of the story (does that even make sense).  

To begin with I loved the beginning of the story.  It was thrilling right up to when Jacinda's mother drives through the guarded gates of the pride.  I liked Jacinda's wildness when she choose to let it show.  The rest of the time she could kind of drive me crazy.  She was selfless until the point she choose to act irrationally.  She let everyone walk all over her and accepted what everyone told her even if she felt it was wrong.  Not your typical female heroine and I hope she grows some backbone soon.  I loved her relationship with Will when they were alone.  The relationship seemed real then.  But, it had the bite to it as well.  He had a tendency to act different when they were in school.  Not to mention the fact that his family liked to hunt and kill her kind.

I really disliked Jacinda's mother and her sister.  I couldn't believe how they behaved towards her.  According to her sister, everything that happened was Jacinda's fault.  Even in the end, she refused to see what was happening to Jacinda, and Jacinda felt like she couldn't tell her the truth.  Her mother was interesting.  She couldn't see that what might be right for her, might not be the best path for her draki daughter.  
Overall and interesting story.  I liked it enough to give it 4 butterflies and will read more of the coming series.  I'm sure characters behaviors will have reasoning in the end.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails