Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hearts at Stake (The Drake Chronicles, #1) by Alyxandra Harvey

Hearts at Stake (The Drake Chronicles, #1)Title: Hearts At Stake
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Published: December 2009
Pages: 256
ISBN: 9780802720740
Source: Around The World Tours

Description: The Blakes are rather different to your usual neighbours. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen. Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire? Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer.

I Give This Book 4 Stars!

When this book first popped up on my radar, I didn't even add it to my to-read list.  I felt a little bit burnt out on vampires and this one didn't sound any different than all the others.  It came up on my tours site I belong to, so I thought what they heck.   I am so glad I did.  Sure, it's about vampires.  But, that's were the similarities end.  Solange was not your typical character.  She's not a vampire through out most of the book.  Vampires that are born go through the change with they turn 16.  I thought this was an interesting twist on the theories.  Plus, I think she seemed to really dislike the thought of changing and all the stuff that goes with it (crazy people sending her gifts not to mention the prophecy).  Her best friend Lucy was great.  I enjoyed their relationship.  Adding a human to the mix made for some interesting situations.  Nicholas was just the right mixture of brooding vampire and protective older brother.  Some of the scenes between him and Lucy actually made me catch my breath a little!  There was enough action to propel the story forward and leave you wondering what will happen next.  Needless to say, I was surprised at how much I ended up enjoying the story.  I finished in one day and now I'm eager for the next in the series!  Even if you think you've had enough vampires, I would recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails