Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Review - Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga #1) by Jennifer Donnelly

Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, #1)Title: Deep Blue
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Series: 1st
Pages: 340
Published: May 6th 2014 by Disney Press 
ISBN: 9781423133162
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
 






Description: Deep in the ocean, in a world not so different from our own, live the merpeople. Their communities are spread throughout the oceans, seas, and freshwaters all over the globe.  When Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, awakens on the morning of her betrothal, her biggest worry should be winning the love of handsome Prince Mahdi. And yet Sera finds herself haunted by strange dreams that foretell the return of an ancient evil. Her dark premonitions are confirmed when an assassin's arrow poisons Sera's mother. Now, Serafina must embark on a quest to find the assassin's master and prevent a war between the Mer nations. Led only by her shadowy dreams, Sera searches for five other mermaid heroines who are scattered across the six seas. Together, they will form an unbreakable bond of sisterhood and uncover a conspiracy that threatens their world's very existence. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

Mermaid books tend to be hit of miss with me.  I think it's just one of those topics that can get cheesy really quickly.  It has to be believable without being over the top.  I think this book does that just fine.

I was a little unsure at first because it seemed like Serafina wasn't going to be that strong of a character.  She's use to being told what to do and feeling like she's never going to live up to her mother's expectations or her crown.  But when all hell breaks loose, Serafina must step up to the plate quickly.  She has a hard time with this at first.  It's more of denial in admitting that her mother and the rest of her nation might be wiped out.  She hesitates in her decisions thinking that they have little importance.

I actually really enjoyed the world building behind this one.  I would have liked more information on the different nations, but what I got was enough to picture this world.  I loved how there was a little mystery surrounding Prince Mahdi.  I wasn't quite sure if he was going to warp into a bad guy or just seriously misunderstood.   I also loved the idea of the 6 mermaids being descendants of the original ruling mermaids.  I think they each represent the characteristics that originals were known for.  

I think I especially enjoyed watching Serafina grown and learn throughout this book.  She's really begins to lead in the end and accept her new position.  I really look forward to book 2!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails