Saturday, January 4, 2014

Review - Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles #2) by Kat Zhang

Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)Title: Once We Were
Author: Kat Zhang
Series: 2nd (What's Left of Me)
Pages: 352
Published:  September 17th 2013 by HarperCollins 
ISBN: 9780062114907
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss







Description: "I'm lucky just to be alive."  Eva was never supposed to have survived this long. As the recessive soul, she should have faded away years ago. Instead, she lingers in the body she shares with her sister soul, Addie. When the government discovered the truth, they tried to “cure” the girls, but Eva and Addie escaped before the doctors could strip Eva’s soul away.  Now fugitives, Eva and Addie find shelter with a group of hybrids who run an underground resistance. Surrounded by others like them, the girls learn how to temporarily disappear to give each soul some much-needed privacy. Eva is thrilled at the chance to be alone with Ryan, the boy she’s falling for, but troubled by the growing chasm between her and Addie. Despite clashes over their shared body, both girls are eager to join the rebellion.  Yet as they are drawn deeper into the escalating violence, they start to wonder: How far are they willing to go to fight for hybrid freedom? Faced with uncertainty and incredible danger, their answers may tear them apart forever. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I had it in my head that I wasn't going to read this book.  I wasn't sold on the first one and I've been trying to limit my series, especially when I'm not invested into it to much.  But, I already had this one for review, and I had looked at so many positive reviews that I thought maybe I'll give it a shot.  Maybe it will win me over.  Maybe I was wrong....  Yeah, not going to read the 3rd.

For someone who has spend that last few years barely hanging on to the body that Addie and Eva share, Eva has an amazing amount of control now.  I find it hard to believe that Addie was the dominant personality when we look at how easily Eva can take control.  And because of this, she seems to take a mile when Addie gives her an inch.  Honestly I can't blame her for wanting to experience life to the fullest, but she gives little thought to how her actions will effect Addie.  She was pushy and often laid a guilty trip on Addie.  I didn't really like her.

The story line was up and down for me.  We spend a lot of time learning about other hybrids.  An over abundance of characters can make a story confusing.  Add in their soul twin, and I had a down right time keeping all my characters straight.  After awhile, I didn't really bother.  Especially since I felt like a lot of these hybrids were taking advantage of Addie and Eva.  Turns out I was right.

I'm still completely unsure of the idea of twin souls.  I'm not sure this can be done in a way that makes sense, but here it often doesn't.  I tried to think of them in terms of multiple personalities, but it didn't work because Addie and Eva known what each other are doing (for the most part).  I just can't wrap my mind around it.  I'm way to much of a scientific person to accept this.  

I tried...I really did.  But, I'm going to have to push this series to the side.  There are plenty of others who enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails