Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review - Awakening (The Chrysalis Series #1) by Elene Sallinger (ADULT)

Awakening (The Chrysalis Series, #1)Title: Awakening
Author: Elene Sallinger
Series: 1st
Pages: 224
Published:  November 5th 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca 
ISBN:9781402289507
Source: Publisher via Netgalley





Description: River Rock, Vermont, 2011: This is the story of Claire Ryan and Evan Lang. Thirty-five-year-old Claire joins a local book club for romance readers in order to get over the breakdown of her 10-year relationship. There she meets book shop owner Evan, a dominant man who has never recovered from the sudden death of his submissive wife.  As their relationship develops and they embark on the path of Claire's submission, it becomes harder and harder for Evan to keep his emotional distance. Claire is open and responsive and he wants her badly, but refuses to let himself go. As Claire falls deeper in love with Evan, she realises that he is holding back and decides to end their relationship, forcing Evan to confront his own past and his feelings in order to save his new love.  

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I wasn't sure I was going to review this on my blog.  This site tends toward young adult with the occasional younger book thrown in.  But, I realized I'm a grown adult and I think most of my readers are as well.  

I've read a few BSDM books.  Some of it really is hard for me to take.  But, this one was presented in a very 'tasteful" fashion.  I think it would be good for those easing themselves in the genre.  I really liked Claire.  It's interesting to me that she came from a very abusive relationship.  While you constantly hear of women who claim they deserved their beatings, Claire actually craved it.  But, she never recognized that it was delivered in the wrong context.  It wasn't until her relationship is long over that she realized what it was she wanted.  But, these types of relationships take care and consideration.  They aren't to be entered into lightly.

I understood that Claire had an intense attraction to Evan.  But I was a little disappointed that she agreed to his terms.  I know she realized that she was not a replacement for his deceased wife, but Evan never realized that.  It was like he refused to see Claire for herself.  In turn, he was denying himself what he really wanted.  If her recognized Claire as a true submissive, he was doing her a great disservice by treating her the way he did.

I'm happy they finally admitted what they both needed.  I liked that this book was not just about the BSDM lifestyle but about the dynamics of the relationship.



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails