Friday, November 1, 2013

Review - The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2) by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)Title: The Iron Traitor
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: 2nd (The Lost Prince)
Pages: 304
Published: October 29th 2013 by Harlequin Teen 
ISBN: 9780373210916
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
 
 
 
 
 
Description: In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as normal as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for; his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, normal simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all. 
 
I Give This ...
Photobucket
 
Oh how I love this world that Julie Kagawa has created.  But, I kind of struggled with this one.  All the elements that I know and adore are still there.  But there was one element that got to me.  And yet, I knew it was coming.

Ethan really has his work cut out for him.  Try as he might he can not escape who he is.  He connections to the Nevernever will always drag him back into that world even when its the last thing he would rather do.  I love how despite the image he tried to portray, he has a heart of gold.  He can't say no to the summer fairy who comes calling asking for help in finding Keirran.  He tries to protect Kenzie by trying to drive her away.  I was also surprised when he tells his parents the through in hopes that it might stop them from worrying even a little.  Then turns around and gives his dad the slip when he tries to come with him.  But, fate has it in for Ethan.
 
And this is the part of the story I had a hard time with me.  All because of Kierran.  I so desperately wanted him to rise about the prophecy.  But, things have a way of turning out exactly how it was suppose to me.  I wanted it to be an accident or something of that nature.  Instead we see Kierran become deluded in his quest to save Annwyl.  His wiliness to do whatever possible had me questioning his love for her.  She was ready to let go and fade.  He had to know that what he was ready to do would go far beyond what Annwly would want.  I can't imagine that she would be willing forgive him for his actions.  It honestly made me wonder if there is not some darker force at work here.  I think that its possible that the Queen of the Forgotten has worked some sort of spell over Kierran and that this isn't about Annwyl at all.

Despite the fact that I want to punch Kierran (that's putting it lightly), I still love this story.  I want to step into it and go on adventures with these characters.  Kagawa breathes so much life into this world that I can't help but be almost ill at the ending.  Such a long wait until the last book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails