Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Review - Crash (Visions #1) by Lisa McMann

Crash (Visions, #1)Title: Crash
Author: Lisa McMann
Series: 1st
Pages: 233
Published: January 8th 2013 by Simon Pulse 
ISBN: 9781442403918
Source: Personal Copy
 






Description: Jules lives with her family above their restaurant, which means she smells like pizza most of the time and drives their double-meatball-shaped food truck to school. It’s not a recipe for popularity, but she can handle that. What she can’t handle is the recurring vision that haunts her. Over and over, Jules sees a careening truck hit a building and explode...and nine body bags in the snow. The vision is everywhere—on billboards, television screens, windows—and she’s the only one who sees it. And the more she sees it, the more she sees. The vision is giving her clues, and soon Jules knows what she has to do. Because now she can see the face in one of the body bags, and it’s someone she knows. Someone she has been in love with for as long as she can remember. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I've only read Cryer's Cross by McMann, but I have several of her other books on my to read list.  I really liked the sound of this one and was willing to try it.  It wasn't all that I was hoping for.

I liked Jules at first.  She lives in a crazy family that owns a pizza shop.  She's in love with the boy who's family own the rival pizza shop.   There's a whole lot of background story there that involves stolen recipes, etc.  So when the parents discover in junior high that Jules and Sawyer are friends, it's quickly squashed.  It leaves Jules heartbroken and wondering how Sawyer could drop their friendship in the blink of an eye.   She tries to convince herself that she doesn't care, but really she knows his every move.   So when she begins to same the vision over and over, she couldn't possibly let him die. 

I was ok with the story up until Jules tries to save the day.  The first thing she does is try to warn Sawyer and confess her undying love in the same moment.  Granted she thinks she's a little on the crazy side and pays her little attention.  Her next course of action is to analyze every little detail of the dream, which of course leads to analyzing every little detail around their restaurant.  She chalks up her stalker tendencies to trying to save Sawyer.  I just found it a little overkill.

The story felt so young even though our characters are not.  I felt like I was reading a middle grade fiction book with the way the character behaved and sometimes talked.   It felt frightfully simple and I think so many details could have been fleshed out a little better.  I also wondered why make Jules father a hoarder?  I just complicated the story and added no real substance (although would make an interesting story all by itself).

I did like the end and how the vision changed at Jules manipulated the chain of events.  It was interesting to read about and I wish the author would have devoted a little bit more time to.  I'm not sure on the next one, I have it for review though..  The end had a sort of cliffhanger to it.  But, I felt it was way to convenient to keep the story going. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails