Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review - Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X #1) by Richelle Mead

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1)Title: Gameboard of the Gods
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: 1st
Pages: 448
Published: June 4th 2013 by Dutton Adult 
ISBN: 9780525953685
Source: Publisher via Netgalley








Description: In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills. When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

 I think I'm the only person in the world that hasn't read Vampire Academy yet.  But, this one caught me eye and sense its a new series I thought I would give it a shot.

I admit I forgot that Richelle Mead also writes adult books, and I think its important to note that this is one of those.  I don't mind a little sex in my books, but man this one really jumped right into it.  In fact, its a major part of the novel.  First because are two main characters have some much sexual tension you can feel it jump off the pages.  Two, both our characters use sex as a means of release in ways that aren't really normal.  

Justin was really an interesting character for me.  Basically banished for RUNA because it felt he could no longer keep quiet about the things he had seen on his job.  In this future world, there is no religion.  Those that practice any form are considered crazy.  Any time a religion gains to many followers, the government finds a way to shut them down.  Justin has seen many thing that make him question the idea of there is no god(s).  In fact, after his last mission, he's pretty damn sure there might by some supernatural at work.  Once it becomes and official report, the government has a harder time 

I really liked Mare to begin with. But, the fact that we get to see her softer side right at the beginning was distorting.  Once her job because the focal point, she so hard and seems uncaring.  We see flashed of that other side, but they are so far between that I wasn't sure which one was her real face.  And she's so quick to judge.  I really felt that was more a personality flaw than part of her ingrained training.

The history of the country, the different factions and classes, and the obsession with religion were really interesting.  But, the murders really just didn't fit with the rest of the story.  I often felt like we had two different storylines going at the same time.  I found parts of it extremely dull and slow going.  But then every once in awhile I would find myself engrossed and couldn't put it down.  I don't think I've ever read a book that could do both.

I'm really not sure what I will do when the next book comes around.  Although, there seems to be a religious movement building, and I'm curious how that might play out.  I guess I will see when the time comes.  



  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails