Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters #3) by Jessica Shirvington

Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)Title: Emblaze:
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Series: 3rd (Embrace, Enticed)
Pages: 464
Published: March 5th 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire
ISBN: 9781402268465
Source: Publisher provided for honest review






Description: Once again Violet Eden faces an impossible choice ... and the consequences are unimaginable.  Violet has come to terms with the fact that being part angel, part human, means her life will never be as it was.  Now Violet has something Phoenix - the exiled angel who betrayed her - will do anything for, and she has no intention of letting it fall into his hands. The only problem is that he has something she needs too.   Not afraid to raise the stakes, Phoenix seemingly holds all the power, always one step ahead. And when he puts the final pieces of the prophecy together, it doesn't take him long to realise exactly who he needs in order to open the gates of Hell.  With the help of surprising new allies, ancient prophecies are deciphered, a destination set and, after a shattering confrontation with her father, Violet leaves for the islands of Greece without knowing if she will have a home to return to...
I  Give This ...
 Photobucket 
I'm invested in the story at this point.  I want to know what happens next so there really was no doubt that I would be reading this book.  Question was...would it live up to the second book in the series or would it be along the lines of the first?  

I was really beginning to like Violet throughout this story.  She's starting to recognize her own powers and their importance to the greater picture.  But, at the same time I don't feel she has an overinflated sense of herself.  If anything, her emotions still can get the best of her.  She tends to think with her heart first and her head later.  But, that's just who she is.

There's a couple relationships that were interesting to me.  Violet and Lincoln's relationship is intense.  I wasn't buying it in the first two books.  I think it's extremely hard to portray soul mates.  But, the author surprised me and did an excellent job of showing how they truly felt about each other.  But, I found this to be a sharp contrast to how Violet feels about her mother.  I was shocked to see how much anger and hatred she's built up.  I don't think it's fair.  Perhaps she's just looking for someone to place the blame on, and a deceased mother is a good place to start.

It's the storyline that dragged me down quite a bit in this one.  There's way to much back and forth in the beginning. I really felt like some of it could have been edited out.  I liked some of the mythology that we learn this time around.  But, when the events become to grand, I just start to loose interest.  Hidden gates in volcano's, typhoons, etc all blind to the human eye.   It gets to be over the top.  

I'm not sure if the story is over.  There's obviously some loose ends.  I don't know how I feel about the next.  It's been a roller coaster so far!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails