Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review - Defiance (Defiance #1) by C.J. Redwine

Defiance (Defiance, #1)Title: Defiance
Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: 1st
Pages: 416
Pubished: August 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray 
ISBN:  9780062117182
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss







Description: Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.  At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.  As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making. 


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I just was never really sure what to make of this book, so I didn't add it to my to-read list right away.  But, the early reviews seemed generally positive and I thought I would give it a try.   I'm glad I did because it's currently one of the better books I've read all year.

Rachel is a riveting lead character that may drive you a little crazy.  I love a strong female lead as much as the next person, but I also realize there's a time and place for all of that.  Rachel tends to be so head strong that she acts first and thinks later.  But, it's that very attribute that leads her to believe her father is alive.  She's willing to risk everything and venture into the Wasteland to find him.  It's the reason her father trained her the way he did.  She was never raised to be the typical female in this society.  She's going to fight until the end, and that's enough to make me admire her.

I loved Logan from the very first section were we get his view point.  His story is so fascinating.  I think is biggest characteristic can also be his flaw, his pride.  He doesn't want to be remembered as the orphan whose mom defined the city's leader.  He wants to prove that he can protect Rachel in light of her father's absence.  But, I think most of all he wants to move beyond what Baalbdoden has to offer, and if he has to bring down the Commander to do it then so be it.

I think what was most interesting about this story is Rachel is not a damsel in distress.  Logan doesn't save her, except maybe from herself.  She goes through a lot of the story on her own, willing herself to be stronger than the people around her.  She really has the weight of the world on her shoulders.  It's not only her life that depends on her success but others as well.   

I also really enjoyed the world that has been created her.  The commander seems heartless and cruel, but there's a lot of little quirks to this society.  It seems like one of those things that was done for the good of the people in the beginning, but now has gotten out of hand.  The monster that plays such a predominate role in this story wasn't the highlight for me.  I kept picture the creatures from the movie Tremors and it totally ruined that aspect of the story.  But, the technology that controlled it was interesting.  I'm looking forward to were that might take us in future books.

Overall I really liked this story.  I was expecting fantasy, but it also has a dystopian feel to i.  Very strong characters and a romance that felt real.  I look forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails