Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review - Souled by Diana Murdock

SouledTitle: Souled
Author: Diana Murdock
Series: Stand Alone (possible series?)
Pages: 253
Published: June 22nd 2012 by BreakFree Press
ISBN: 9780615647876
Source: Author for honest review







Description: What 17-year-old boy wouldn’t be tempted by the promise of power and control - no matter what form that promise came in?  Seth knew exactly what he would do with power and control. He’d be well on his way to a wrestling scholarship, his dad could stop working so hard to make ends meet, and he’d forever have the heart of his girlfriend, Sandpoint High’s most beautiful girl. For Seth, the temptation was much too strong to resist. And why should he? The way he saw it, he had everything to gain.  But when he unknowingly invites another soul to share his body, Seth discovers that not all power is good – especially when it was never his to wield. And when the soul reveals its true intentions, will Seth have the strength to fight it or would death be less painful?

I Give This ...
Photobucket

Isn't it funny how one little detail about a book will make you want to read it.  What was it in this one?  That fact that it's set in Sandpoint, Idaho.  Most people probably have never heard of this little town in northern Idaho.  But, I have several friends from there, so I jumped on it.  I'm so happy I did!

This turned out to be a story that I wasn't expecting.  Seth was a really great lead character.  He's not perfect.  He wants more than what he has.  I never felt like he was ungrateful.  It was more like he was afraid those around him would suddenly realize they could do better than him.   I could totally see how a teenager like him would be intrigued by an add promising power and control.  Someone could possibly buy it as a joke.  I liked how he fought the soul when it came to complete possession.  It shows the true natural of his spirit.  He should have believed in himself to begin with!  I also liked his girlfriend.  I'm not usually one for he/she's the one relationships in high school.  But, every once in awhile it works.  It does here. 

The lore surrounding the spirit was really interesting.  I liked how it could be traced back through history (although it felt a little convenient).  It was a very good set up and completely believable when it comes to magic and mythology.  The ending left the book open for a series, but also leaves it wrapped up in case the author decides not to.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read Souled. I really appreciate it. And it thrills me to no end to know that you enjoyed it. There will be a sequel, giving Justin and Alyx their story, as well as a novella just for Alyx. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails