Thursday, August 16, 2012

Review - The Far Out Cafe by Stuart Chambers (DNF)

The Far Out CafeTitle: The Far Out Cafe
Author: Stuart Chambers
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 274
Published: May 7th 2012 by Author House 
ISBN: 9781468504866
Source: Author sent for honest review
 







Description: No it isn't During the fall of 1969 Daniel Dyer stands alone at a still point between the disappointments of his childhood and an incredibly uncertain future. He is a boy from Yorkshire, living in America who has been abandoned by his father and then his mother and has signed up to fight with the US army in Vietnam. The Far Out Cafe is full of characters and events: a blues singer, a Cuban called Guerrero and another called Compay, with his head full of conspiracy theories, 'Birdmen, ' a chapel dating back to the 2nd century, an isolated island, a pack of marauding sharks; one of mythical proportions, a psychotic Soviet called the Generali, a barbaric guard called Rusanov and his syphilitic assistant, Yefrem. This is not merely a story about the atrocities of war. It's a story about who Daniel meets when he has been left for dead; a boy called Angel and a girl called Beth. It's about the way we live our lives and what happens when we place our Faith in God when things go horribly wrong. It's a savage yet tenderly lyrical story about an unforgiving time and indestructible love. 'I sat down, cleared my mind, and 'The Far Out Caf ' blew it apart. It's a really great story and it's told in such a surreal way, it messes with your head so much, delightfully so, but what really caught me is the sense of magic and mysticism that is woven into the story. A huge story that has roots in an even greater and deeper meaning. The spiritual clashed against the brutality of men is incredibly powerful. Good to fi nally be challenged by a modern book that gives the mind a great workout.

I Give This ...
 DNF (Did Not Finish)

I really try hard to be open to self published books.  I think authors like this needs recognition for trying to go it alone.  If I can fit them into my review schedule, I will accept.  I have found some of them to be very worthy reads.

This one I was pretty sure from the start that it would not be my type of book.  But, the author's email captured me.  I debated for several days over it and decided to give it a try.  I knew within a few pages that I this was not going to be an easy read for me.  But, I pushed on.   

I didn't identify with the characters of the setting.  Sometimes I wasn't sure what was going on.  I would reread and still wasn't really understanding the story that was presented to me.  At 20%, I knew I had to put this one aside.  It just wasn't for me.  I do think there are others who would find this book enjoyable (I think my friend Jackie might like this). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails