Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gust Post with Kate Hinderer author of Emerald Isle



I'm pleased to have Kate Hinderer, author of Emerald Isle and Aurora Undefined, here at the blog.  


Kate HindererHi. I’m author Kate Hinderer and I’m lucky enough to be guest posting for the day as part of the blog book tour for The Emerald Isle. This book is part paranormal, part contemporary fiction and has adventure, romance, suspense, and a whole lot of sand.

For today’s post I thought to feature my favorite classic reads. If I’m honest there are a lot of classics that I have never read. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never ready War and Peace or Great Expectations. Still, there are some great old school books out there – great even if school makes you read them! 





Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – I loved this story before it was cool to like it, with the upcoming movie. To me, the best part about this story is the contrast that exists between the good and bad choices. It illustrates in a most graphic way what happens with the decisions we make.

The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas – I actually really liked The Count of Monte Cristo when I read it. But since it is so commonly known, I thought I’d list this smaller, lesser known work. The story of two men trying to grow a black tulip and the love and intrigue that happens as a result is captivating.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux – Sure, the movie is great. The soundtrack is oh so dramatic. But the book is even better. You feel for the phantom and the life he has to endure. It’s wonderfully tragic.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell – This was the first and only book my father ever took away from me! He found me reading it several nights in a row instead of doing my homework. As a result he confiscated it for two weeks until I had my priorities straight again. I just couldn’t get enough of Scarlet and her selfishness. And while, most people hated the ending I thought it was epically awesome!

My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok – There was something in this book that struck me at the very core of my being. The main character wars between a talent he was born with and a religion that tells him it is wrong. His inner turmoil is astounding.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte – This was the first assigned reading book for school that I actually enjoyed and read through without waiting for the assignment dates. There is something abut Jane’s character – her ordinariness, her virtue, her love – that had me flipping each page wanting more.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte – I’m a huge fan of dark novels and this one is the ultimate! There is something so disturbing and so romantic about a love that can never be that still calls to the person from the grave.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – This book and its themes struck me long after I read the last page. The way the story dealt with childhood, race relations and a rape was beautiful and striking. 




Emerald Isle (A Fascination Island book)Title: Emerald Isle

To escape a bad break-up and fighting parents Audyn takes a job as a lifeguard at Fascination Island. The posh five-star resort lives up to its name in every way, including the strange rules the owner has about entering the water at night. Despite declaring it a boy-free summer, it isn’t long before the shy, endearing Levi and the mysterious, tattooed Tristan begin vying for her attention. When Levi tries to push his advantage and Tristan comes to the rescue, Audyn realizes there is more to both these boys and the island they inhabit. Suddenly, she’s forced to acknowledge a reality she’d never considered and to pick a side in the conflict that has been waging for decades 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails