Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review - Glitch (Glitch #1) by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch (Glitch, #1)Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Series: 1st
Pages: 371
Published: August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press 
ISBN: 9781250002990
Source: Publisher via Netgalley







Description: In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.  When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.  As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I wanted to love this.  It has everything going for it really.  But, in all reality it fell a little short of it's mark for me and just ended up being another book in the dystopian genre.

I liked the characters for the most part.  Zoe is interesting to watch as she observes the world around her through new eyes.  She's experiences everything according to how the Community feels she should see it.  She's been deprived of any emotional response.  It's one things I enjoyed because it made me realize how the simple things can be taken for granted.  I liked Adrien because he doesn't rush Zoe.  He acknowledges that this is all new to her and extremely overwhelming.  It's got to be hard to ground himself considering all he thinks she could be.    I disliked Max, but he's so typically teenage male that I almost felt sorry for him as well.  Teenage male is not what I would want to all of a sudden start experiencing with no warning (and no guidance).  

I really had the most difficulty with the storyline.  We know Zoe is glitching, but occasionally she's still plugged into the feed.  Since the story is told for her point of view, I had a hell of a time telling the difference.  I understood more of how it was like to be plugged in by her description of those around her.  I'm way to much of a scientific person, and this really made no sense to me.  It bothered me a lot. 

I liked the idea of the resistance (is there always a resistance?).   I was surprised that we meet some of them so soon.  It was like a teaser of things to come.  In the end that storyline didn't pan out anything like I had thought.  There were some interesting twists to what was really going on.  I liked that aspect of the story.

In the end, I was really not convinced that the mind control could work in the manner presented.  I'm not sure I'll continue the series.  Will see when the next one pops up.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails