Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review - Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2) by Kelly Creagh

 Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)Title: Enshadowed
Author: Kelly Creagh
Series: 2nd (Nevermore)
Pages: 429
Published: August 28th 2012 by Atheneum 
ISBN:  9781442402072
Source: Around The World Tours







Description: Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dream world -- a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen's creation, is the only one who can save him.  Isobel knows that her only hope lies within a Baltimore cemetery. There, in the early morning hours of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday, a mysterious stranger known as the "Poe Toaster" will make his annual homage at the legendary poet's grave. Only the Poe Toaster holds the key to the way between worlds. But even greater dangers lie ahead for Isobel. An ancient evil, draped in veils of white, is watching, challenging her for Varen's affections. When Isobel finally finds Varen, he is no longer the quiet and brooding boy who once captivated her, but a dark force, powerful and malevolent. 


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I've been eagerly awaiting this installment in the Nevermore series.  I'm not a die hard Poe fan, but I've always enjoyed his works.  The first book impressed way more than I though possible, so this one was a no brainer for me. 

    Isobel really is a shadow of herself in this book.  I don't mean that in bad way, but she's not the same person.  Varen completely changed her as did her experiences in the dream world that he's now trapped in.  She spends her days trying to convince her friends that she's still the popular cheerleader she was before.  She's trying to convince the adults that she really had nothing to with Varen.  And she's trying to convince her parents that they can trust her again.  But, most of all I think she's trying to convince herself that she isn't going crazy and that she is capable of rescuing Varen.  The probable is that she doesn't know what she's dealing with.  A demon that's as old as time and known for giving lost souls exactly what they crave.  Someone who had her hand on Varen long before Isobel came into the picture.  

I loved the inclusion of the "Poe Toaster" in this story.  I've always found the person to be fascinating. I hope some day the full story comes out to the identity, but I'm content with it being one of life mysteries.  The fact that Isobel could so easily explain who he was just a great addition to the story.  Those little details that the author is really paying attention to are what make the story complete.  The flashbacks of the interactions between the Toaster and Poe fill in the story, but I still think there's more to this person that we don't know yet.

While I enjoyed the story, I felt like there was lot of down time.  Isobel spends a lot of time trying to figure out what to do.  We also get very little Varen and what we do get is so not what I was expecting.  The dream world has not been good to him.   I debated on what to give this story, but felt it deserved a 4 overall just what the story bring to the table.  It's downfalls weren't enough to knock it down in my opinion.  I await the next one! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Less of Varen? ugh :/ Even tho I love Isobel and I love Gwen, I know I'm going to miss Varen .I just hope he won't be too much "wiped" since he called her "my love" at the end of Nevermore.I love cynic-cold Varen haha :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails