Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review - The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, #2) by Eve Edwards

The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles #2)Title: The Queen's Lady
Author: Eve Edwards
Series: 2nd (The Other Countess)
Pages: 336
Published:  April 10th 2012 by Delacorte Books
ISBN: 9780385740913
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






Description: England, 1584. When beautiful Lady Jane Rievaulx begins her service to the Queen at Richmond Palace, she is thrilled to see the court's newest arrival . . . Master James Lacey.  No matter that Jane was previously courted by the eldest Lacey brother—James is the one who has won her heart. For his part, James cannot deny his fascination with Jane; his plans, however, do not allow for love. He is about to set sail on a treacherous journey to the Americas, seeking absolution for what he sees as past sins. But when Jane is forced into a terrible situation by her own family, only one man can save her. Will Master James return to his lady before it's too late?

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I've decided that I really enjoy historical fiction series that follow a family.  You get a new story, but yet don't lose the characters from the previous book.  And since this is set in my favorite time period, it hoped to be a win-win situation.

I really loved Lady Jane in this book.  I wasn't sure what we would get from her, since her character was a little harsh in the first book.  But, I think the events from that lead to were she is today.  She knows what she wants and what she doesn't.  She really fights to maintain that freedom in a time period that females had anything but that.  She tries to step out of the shackles of a father who wants to control her plus keep control of her dowry.  Her stepsons wants to paint her as the the type of person she really isn't.  It was down right depressing what these people put her through.

 I was a little hesitant about James for at least half of the book.  I really liked him in the first story, but could really tell that life had changed him and not for the better.  Plus, circumstances didn't not leave Jane in the best of lights in his mind.  I was afraid he would let his own prejudices get in the way of who she really was.    I wasn't sure he could admit to himself that he would overcome his problems and be the man Jane needed him to be.

In the end, the story was much more intense that the first book in the series.  I was really afraid that James might be too late to save Jane (and really, why would the story end that way).  I did kind of wonder about Queen Elizabeth's roles in this story.  She seemed slightly out of character.  I'm not sure she would have been accommodating, but then she really did hate to see her Lady's in Waiting leave her services.  

I can't wait for the next one in this series.  I've enjoyed it so far, and don't think I will be disappointed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails