Tuesday, May 29, 2012

ARC Review - My Life in Black and White by Natasha Friend

My Life in Black and WhiteTitle: My Life in Black and White
Author: Natasha Friend
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 304
Published: June 28th 2012 by Viking Juvenile 
ISBN: 9780670013036
Source: Around The World Tours
 






Description: What if you lost the thing that made you who you are?  Lexi has always been stunning. Her butter-colored hair and perfect features have helped her attract friends, a boyfriend, and the attention of a modeling scout. But everything changes the night Lexi's face goes through a windshield. Now she's not sure what's worse: the scars she'll have to live with forever, or what she saw going on between her best friend and her boyfriend right before the accident. With the help of her trombone-playing, defiantly uncool older sister and a guy at school recovering from his own recent trauma, Lexi learns she's much more than just a pretty face.


I Give This ...
Photobucket

 This description of this book reminded me of Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk, which a read a number of years ago.  I knew it couldn't possibly be as graphic, but I was intrigued by the idea.

My first thoughts were that everyone surrounding Lexi is completely shallow.  Her whole life in been built around the fact that she's beautiful.  It's such a defining characteristic for her.  I felt like all a long she really wanted to step out of that aspect of herself.  She wanted to be something more than just the beautiful one.  She just no idea how to do it.  

The accident (and the situation leading up to it) that causes the transformation was...interesting.  Lexi's so called best friend Taylor and her boyfriend getting caught in that situation would lead anybody to fly off the handle a little bit.  But, the circumstances behind that accident were almost laughable.  In fact, they would be if it hadn't had such dire consequences.  I was more amazed at the excuses Taylor (and boyfriend) came up with.  Really?  I just didn't believe it.  And after all of that Lexi was so miserable without Taylor that she forgave her and went back to being best friends.  I think if she would have gone back to the boyfriend as well I might have screamed. 

But what really made this story work for me is Ruth, Lexi's sister.  Lexi hasn't really given her sister half a chance until now.  She couldn't see how her sister could possibly be happy without being popular.  I also liked how everyone tiptoed around Lexi, except for Ruth.  She told Lexi exactly what she needed to her.  She pointed out that she needed to stop feeling sorry for herself.  And, that the world was not going to end because of what happened.  It was interesting to watch the transformation in both Lexi and her relationship with her sister.


Overall, I ended up liking the book quite a bit.  It had it's teen moments that made me role my eyes and thank god I'm not in high school anymore.  But, it also had a really good message underneath it all. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails