Friday, February 17, 2012

Review - The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: 1st
Pages: 327
Published: April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen 
ISBN: 9780062059932
Source: Around The World Tours
 








Description: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I was initially really excited about this one.  But, then the reviews started to pour in and not all of them were praising it.  So, when it came time to read it, it was with a little bit of hesitation.  

The first thing I discovered is that this book is completely light-hearted.  It may be set in the future, but it isn't a suspense filled dystopian book.  It's more like a fairy tale set in the future.  I found that I liked the setting, so it was easy to get into the story.  I thought the idea of the class system was interesting, and fit in with other books that use this classification.  While, I'm not a fan of The Bachelor or similar shows, the way this was set up was intriguing (although had them same vibe as I imagine the show could have).

For the most part, I liked America.  I liked that she's still naive enough to believe that the class system is an easy thing to breach, that love can conquer all.  But, I also liked that she learns the hard way that sometimes that's not always the case.   I think it gives her just the attitude that she needed when she's selected for the competition.  She's not all googly eyed for the prince and falling over herself trying to impress him.

For that matter, I think Max was my favorite part of the story.  I was a little annoyed when he kept some obvious bad choices in the contest.  But, his reasoning behind them actually made sense.  While, it may have been old fashioned, not everything was for love.  Some of it was to better the country, etc.   I did really enjoy his blossoming relationship with America.  I think she might be what he really needs.   I hope she doesn't screw it up (I'm just not sure on the other "option").

In short, I enjoyed the story.  It was a little campy at times.  But, maybe it was just what I was looking for at the time I read it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails